Is philosophy still a cool career to study in college or is it out of touch in today's world?

How much do philosephers make?

Socrates was a philosopher 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

If I had stuck to philosophy instead of dropping out after doing my postgrad, I might now be on £60 000 p.a.  As it is, my income is around £8400.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 weeks ago

"Socrates was a philosopher", great start ! Although he didn't make much he achieved an awful lot and is still remembered today after nearly 2&1/2 thousand years. Judging by his death, being a philosopher isn't a cool career, and you are unlikely to receive free meals for life and a gold plated government pension

• 3 weeks ago

Some people are natural philosophers and some people simply pass thru life. You can be a great philosopher and never take a class. The real value of philosophy is not $$$ the real value is the benefit it gives to you. It "makes" you fulfilled.

• 3 weeks ago

Philosophy isn't out of touch with the world. A lot of today's people are out of touch with philosophy; that is the problem.

You shouldn't have to ask anybody whether or not it is a cool thing to study; either you have a passion for it, or at least an interest in it, or you don't. Either you have a use for it, or you don't. Study it if you want to understand the nature of being, and enlighten others: not so you can make money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

First, not everyone studies "careers" in college; many still treat it as a place to enrich themselves and sharpen their awareness and thinking skills.  For these students, philosophy remains an excellent choice.  The ability to think logically and critically while being open to new ideas and interpretations are never "out of touch."  In fact, one might argue that this skill set is more critical than ever in today's media-driven world so heavy with emotionalism and irrationality.

Second, earnings depend heavily on application (which is true of any major).  I've known philosophy grads that went on to be teachers, HR professionals, doctors, lawyers and business executives. To be a "professional philosopher" one must normally rise up through academia and/or publish works that achieve acclaim.  From there earnings are based on whatever people might pay to employ you as a professor, critic or public speaker.

• A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

will be very difficult to find a job that uses that degree, let alone pay well.    Pick a more popular major and do a minor in philosophy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.