Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

I’m in a tough situation here?

Ok so me and my fiancé moved into our new house December 2019. We are renting it from a family friend and we love this little house. 

Anyways we saved up a lot to finally move into our own place and everything was going great. Paid all our bills on time, and every other bills we had to pay.

Then the coronavirus started and I lost hours at my job and so did my fiancé, we were lucky enough to still be working but we lost a lot of hours and more money and we are more stressed than ever.

Our rent is due on the first and if we pay it for next month we won’t have enough money in our account for bills so should I ask my landlord if I can skip the rent for next month and explain our situation to her? We didn’t know COVID was going to ruin everything and we are very happy here or should we just give her our 30 days notice? 

• John

your a dependant looking for sugar daddie.

how to explain? ummm...food shelves, lines at wefare office unemployment are made for you.

what "rental and bills" take up a majority of a two person income?

gawd dude loose your stupid act.

People are getting adjustments because of COVID. Ask your landlord what your options are and say you can't pay rent. Then you can decide if you can pay less or need to move again.

What you should do is first, reach out to your creditors (credit card companies, car loans, etc) and ask them if they have any forbearance options due to COVID, most banks do, and will allow you to defer up to 3 months of payments. Try to get the creditors (with the exception of your credit cards) to extend the term so your payments stay the same. Worst case scenario, your payments may go up a bit to make up for the 3 months you missed.

Also, there is nothing wrong with asking your landlord for an extension on the rent. The issue is whether they are in a financial position to do it for you. That doesn't mean that this month's rent is waived - you will still owe the money, but see if you can work out a payment plan with the landlord to pay the money owed. Also, under current federal law, it is illegal for landlords to evict a tenant during the COVID pandemic; however, the moratorium (as it's called) expires on July 25th. 

Rent is you're number one priority, then of course food and utilities. Perhaps your landlord could except a partial rent payment if you don't even have the full amount. This is a bizarre  time and which even people with stellar credit I having trouble paying bills. If your landlord doesn't have compassion and empathy than that house probably has a bad vibe and I would get out when you could.

Don’t skip rent but make a payment plan.also have you try to get partial Ui federal and state unemployment to help you pay the difference in bills?Sign up and see if you qualify but hurry it ends July 31st

Before talking to your landlord, call your creditors--the bills--and see if they will make arrangements for you to pay either interest-only payments or partial payments. Once you do that, you will have a better idea about what will be left over for rent--THEN talk to your landlord about not SKIPPING rent, but paying only PARTIAL rent instead. Do whatever you can to reduce monthly bills. Find a food bank and visit for food staples, and talk to your bank as well. They can also help in most cases. 

• Maxi

As your landlord is a 'family friend' then surely you have already spoken to them and also your families to see if they can help you pay your bills......... as this family friend landlord is also in a difficult situation with having tenants who have no savings and live hand to mouth to pay bills...rent is a priorty bill meaning it is the first thing you pay...so sell your gadgets, cancel your internet as none are priorty and start getting your priorities in order

Huh ?? 30 day notice ?? Where would you go ??? Ask for some kind of help (or delay) regarding the rent.

• R P

Your rent should always be your top priority.  You need a roof over your head. Call the other bill companies & ask if you can either smaller payments or skip a payment.

Don't give them a reason to evict you unless you do not have a choice.  If your lease is month to month, give notice and move to something cheap.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.