Anonymous

How to prepare to go back to school?

So im 26, havent been to school in 8 years, but I want to go to college. Unfortunately, financially I probably can’t until next year. Is there anything I can do to prepare mentally for going back to school? Idk maybe reading textbooks or taking fake tests or something? Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Favorite Answer

Definitely review math! That's often among the first skills forgotten when out of school. You'll also need to prepare for SAT/ACT exams. READ - and critically analyze what you read. Get into the habit of reading, studying daily. Use the public library! Another thing which challenges people who have been out of school is simply getting into the habits of reading, studying, and organizing their time to do these things. Self-discipline is going to be a major factor in your success in returning to school. 

Also work on managing your money, and save at least 10% of your income toward school expenses.

First, it's a mind set environment before reading a textbook. Ask the dreaded question are you going to be okay with sitting next to a person who is 17 and 59 years old sometimes it may feel awkward in the beginning because they may seem more educated. Just enjoy being there at college. Do not over think it. I went back to college at 35 and became friends with a student who was 70 years old. If you want you can watch some movies with college in it of course it may not be the same.

In that 8 year hiatus, you would have saved thousands of dollars by now. Why don't you apply at a community college?