Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

Will it be easier for me to learn Welsh than for someone else?

My surname is Jenkins which is the Welsh form of Johnson.  My mother's maiden name is Lefevre which is French.  I took Spanish in high school but it never really "clicked".  In college I took French and it clicked from the get go. 

Welsh apparently is a difficult language to learn.  But I'm wondering if there is an affinity for a particular language based on ancestry?  I have an idea that your brain may be genetically geared to pick up sounds and structures for one language rather than another. So if I start to tackle Welsh, would it be easier for say someone from Italian descent?

I also realize that having four years of high school Spanish may have helped French click, and I was already accustomed to verb conjugations.  But when I started to tackle Italian, it wasn't hard, but it didn't "click". 

Thanks for the help. 

Oh and I've lived in the US my entire life don't know one word of Welch. I know more Irish than Welsh (Erin go bragh) 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It might or it might not. I don't see that it matters. If you want to learn Welsh, get on and learn it. You don't need to discuss your hypothetical ability in advance. There is no evidence that having a Welsh surname will IN ITSELF make Welsh any easier for you.

You want to learn Welsh - so learn it.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There probably is nothing genetic involved, but if you already speak a celtic language (i.e. Irish/gaeilge), that will help

• 4 weeks ago

It only depends on you and if you are talented, motivated, etc .... Have a try 

• 4 weeks ago

i would just try it and see

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I tried to teach myself Irish Gaelic and Welsh. The spelling in Gaelic is impossible. Welsh makes more sense that way, but there are strange rules about mutating consonants. I don't think your hypothesis about genetic inheritance holds water, but try it and see. It won't hurt to try.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.