What is 5/8 of an egg equal to in TBLS or Cups?

I have reduced a recipe and it calls for 5/8 egg.

What is that in measuring?

large egg

A whole large egg is approx. 4 tbsps. So 4x5/8 = 2.5 tbsps.

Probably not because the Vegetables is what give the recipe the flavor 

• denise

Just beat one egg and add a good half to the recipe.

You could use the rest in an omelette / scrambled egg later.

The only way you can use 5/8th of an egg is to beat the egg, measure how much there is, and use 5/8th of that. I don't know what you're making, but I'd probably use a whole egg regardless of whether it's exactly in proportion to the other ingredients. I mean, what are you going to do with the leftover 3/8th of an egg?

I think that's a fib. There is NO recipe that calls for 5/8 of an egg. It's a bit worrying that you have two answers from people who don't seem to have spotted that!

@Geezer - try showing a little bit of common sense and intelligence. NO RECIPE called for 5/8 of an egg. Do you understand what 5/8 of an egg would be any how it would need to be measured? Anyone thinking they need 5/8 of an egg shouldn't be trying to cook, especially if they think that 5/8 of an egg could be cupfuls - Jesus! Don't be such an idiot.

Added, are you seriously saying that you would actually try to measure 5/8 of an egg? You REALLY think that's possible with what anyone might have in the kitchen? Do you not understand what “5/8” means? Are you REALLY that dumb? Have you REALLY no idea at all about cooking? You would REALLY try to divide one egg into eight equal pieces and then take five of those eight pieces? You'd REALLY be stupid enough to do that? And you think you might end up with several cups of egg? Really? Try to grasp that this is not a maths question it's to do with cooking!

@Geezer I've read your answer (and given it a thumbs up). I answered the original question. I'll write this slowly so maybe even you can understand. 

The original question was a dumb one. 

1/ No recipe is going to call for “5/8” of an egg. Makes no difference whether it's the original recipe or what that someone upscaled or downscaled, “5/8 of an egg” doesn't belong in a recipe. According to your comments you disagree.

2/ The only way to obtain “5/8 of an egg” would to take a whole egg, divide it into eight equal parts and take five of them. That's both ridiculous and not even possible with equipment in a standard kitchen. According to your comments you disagree.

3/ Anyone with any education should be able to see straight away that “5/8” is close a half and with something as variable and as small as an egg, you may as well just use half an egg. Even mentioning “5/8 of an egg“ is dumb. Anyone who doesn't see this effectively can't “reduce” the recipe and either needs a recipe they can follow or to Give up on cooking. According to your comments you disagree.

4/ Anyone thinking that “5/8” (or 1/2) of an egg can be measured in tablespoons or cups is clueless and, I'd say shouldn't be trying to measure ingredients at all. In any case, trying to reduce a recipe and THEN “converting” the ingredients into another form of measure is wrong - if you must do it, convert the original recipe and THEN reduce.

I really can't believe I'm arguing with someone as rude and arrogant as you over a recipe. This was MY answer. Who cares what you think? You're an even bigger idiot than the OP!

• kswck2

There are Plenty of websites that will do the math for you. Google is your friend.