What is the word for this in English?

When you ask for  something  from someone, and that person makes excuses and instead of helping you he or she pretends as if they want to help you but they just can't .

3 Answers

  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    prevaricate is a big word for that idea of making excuses to avoid something without open refusal.  Never say no but mean no just the same.

  • blank
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    If one pretends to want to help then makes excuses.....




    Now if they just make excuses for not helping.... no statements or pretentions toward assisting, then declining.....

    It could just be the "ask" is too big for them and, while they might really want to help, they simply cannot.   Example:  "can you loan me $5,000?"   They may not have that kind of money - so they make something up to "soften" the bad news.

    Hope this helps.

  • 4 weeks ago

    That person is being "disingenuous".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.