Kitsune asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 weeks ago

I feel bad feeding crickets to my tarantula?

So... I recently got a pet tarantula. They're about the only insect I don't mind aside from butterflies. Naturally, I've been feeding it crickets and such I find outside.

Now, in most cases with bugs, I have no remorse about killing them if they get near me. I have killed several crickets that have gotten into the house in the past, but for some reason, when I feed them to my tarantula and watch him eat them, I feel incredibly guilty... Why is that?

If you feel guilty feeding crickets to your tarantula, then you probably shouldn't have gotten a tarantula in the first place. Pets like tarantulas and lizards need live food to stimulate their brain because they have to hunt them. Most pet shops have buckets of crickets which are going to go to some sort of animal, so you should just suck it up. 

Get some advice from a vet or a pet store rep about which insects you could feed a tarantula that were killed humanely first.  Maybe even visit a site like peta and look for good articles there or maybe even contact them about your concerns because they are very dedicated to the ethical treatment of animals and might understand your feelings.  If you want to take it a step further you could even volunteer to help these animal causes.  I am not familiar with the diet of this particular spider so it might be best to consult the proper specialist.  I feel you though because I hate this sort of thing too, I react sensitively whenever I see a butterfly caught in a spider's web and feel bad even when I kill a roach and things like that lol.  Good to know there are still other soft-hearted folks out there.

• Ocimom

Every thing has to eat.  I'd put the crickets in with the tarantula and walk away.  You don't have to stay and watch the cricket being eaten.

Your only concern with wild caught insects would be pesticide contamination.

Ts can live fine on crickets, but you can try big juicy cockroaches or even meal worms.

Spread their diet around a bit for variety and such feeders can be had at many pet stores or online.

Firstly, a tarantula is an arachnid not an insect.

Second, no. You got that animal as a pet, it eats insects. If you cant handle feeding crickets to it maybe you should consider a different pet?

and i feed my rabbits apples, apples are living things and i dont feel bad, dont feel bad about it .

I have no idea. How about this. Go to you local petsmart and buy dead ones. I have included a link to them below.  You may have to buy a long set of tweezers like people use for aquarium plants to hold them in from of your tarantula as well.

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/food/jurassipet-e...

Then you haven't been dead asleep in your room at night only to have a cricket find its way in, rub its legs together, wake you up, and then drive you completely batty for the rest of the night because when you finally get so fed up that you get up to find it and get rid of it, it always shuts up because you turn the light on, but the second you're back in bet, it's chirping again. Crickets are a blight, a bane of existence.

• *****

I am not sure why you don't feel bad killing them yourself, but feel bad letting your tarantula eat them. However, you really should not feed your pet any wild-caught prey items. They can carry all sorts of parasites, fungi, and other pathogens and are often contaminated with pesticides. It's much safer to stick to captive bred prey insects. 

Sounds like you have a heart and feel bad that any creature is suffering even if it is the natural way of things. I couldn’t do it because I’m so soft hearted but also here in the American south where I live we are raised with a ton of superstition and we never kill crickets inside our houses because it’s bad luck..or so they say. Maybe you could try feeding it freeze dried insects? I know pet stores sell that kind of stuff. Maybe that would make it easier.