Is it normal for companies to just never contact you again, rather than tell you they're not interested in your application?

Yes, fairly common.  Employers often get TONS of applications for every open position.  It simply is not feasible to contact every unsuccessful applicant.

Yes.  Some send rejection letters.  Others do not.

Companies are not obligated to contact you, and say we are not interested. Just keep on applying, and don't stop until someone contacts you.

If you are tough enough then try to start your own business. If you were to start your own business then you would not have to concern yourself with whether, or not someone contacts you, for an interview.

I am self employed, so I work, for myself!

Yes, it's very common.  Some get thousands of applications and can't reply to all of them.  Some are scared that if they tell you that you're not interested, then you might sue for discrimination, so they string you along.

• H

"We will keep in touch."

That is the last thing you will hear from the interviewers. No calls.

Nothing abnormal about that

• Murzy

Very normal                               .