sarah asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 months ago

Is it rude to say “I cant” instead of “no sorry I can’t” when someone texts u to hang?

If my friend isn’t able to hang w me he sends “I cant”. 

The average person says “I can’t sorry” or “sorry I can’t” because it’s the polite thing to do. He can’t even put in an apostrophe. 

It just bothers me a little. 

I know this is such a small and stupid “problem” to have, but I want to hear other people’s inputs. I want to get a better idea as to if I am getting a tad frustrated for no reason 

Favorite Answer

Comes down to the dynamic between you and your friend, and individual communication style.  Remember, what you expect from someone may not necessarily pan out in that way, so you decide if you can accept your friend's communication style.  Ultimately, how much attention do you want to give something you cannot control or change?

You are over-thinking it.  The Bible tells us not to be easily offended. 

Lots of people like to keep text responses as short as possible. You know your friend; we don't. Is this typical of his behaviour in general?

• martin

Once you're a close friend, you can dispense with saying sorry.