Helen asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 weeks ago

Ferret gone wild, is this a good idea?

My pet Ferret recently escaped his enclosure midnight and ran all around my homestay, it wondered astray in my child's room and attacked and scratched him, my Wallace had to retrieve MEDICAL CARE. The ferret is back in its enclosure and now is being fed bird food instead of its regular food to try and treat its symptoms, is this a good idea?

Favorite Answer

Hi Helen,

I think it's so good of you to ask a question about this difficult situation of yours.

The thing is, ferrets live in the moment. They won't remember the thing they did. Your ferret will just be scared or worried about his food and get hungry.

We can do these things to discipline our kids (no dessert for you!), because we can talk to them about why they are getting punished. Unfortunately, you cannot explain to your ferret what he has done wrong and why he cannot get his regular food anymore.

His intestines are designed only to digest meat. Or.. cat food or something like that.

Giving him different food will give him also a stomach ache. It will not understand why his food changed.

I have had a friendly ferret for a really long time. When mine got lost, it actually got scared. Yours wandered astray and then scratched your child. That is a horrible thing, I agree. So awful for you all. But let's try to understand your ferret and ask ourselves why he did this. An animal is not a machine or something, usually it does something for a reason, just like we do.. A child is much larger than your ferret. Ferrets only attack humans to defend themselves. Your ferret also lost his way in the dark, so all the more reason to go into 'defend mode'.

So... maybe your ferret is bored? Why did he escape from his cage in the first place? Why did he want to get out? Maybe he ran out of his food.. or gotten curious about the house? Is he a new pet that wanted to go exploring?

One thing that could solve your problem is getting your ferret to trust you. That way it won't get scared again and won't attack or bite these 'big humans'.

An easy and fun way to do this is to sit or lie down on the floor in a small closed off room where his cage is. Let the ferret walk freely and sniff and walk all over you. Make sure he has slept and eaten well beforehand. If it nibbles you, it is just to explore. Think how babies do this. They put their mouth on anything. If it bites too hard, just make a squeaky noice. Ouch! The ferrret will think: ooh, that was too hard, I'm sorry! Make sure you have treats in your hand, like a piece of chicken, or raisons, or cat treats. Love goes through the stomach!

Be sure to write back in a few days about how y 'all doing over there! Good luck and have fun! ^ ^

Why do you think feeding it bird food instead of its regular food would help treat its symptoms 

• Ocimom

NO.  Give the ferret to a rescue group.  You are doing the ferret no good by feeding bird seed - that's not an appropriate diet!

• *****

Ferrets are obligate carnivores. Feeding a ferret bird seed as a punishment is likely to result in its death, and, hopefully, your being charged with animal cruelty.

Are you on drugs because it makes no sense. What does bird food have to do with weasel symptoms. 

I owned a ferret and it has never scratched me. It has bit my finger lightly due to her poor eyesight but she eventually learned that it’s me and stopped biting my fingers. 

i would ask your vet about it

So what  you're saying is your ferret went down to Panama City Beach for spring break, got really drunk, and then let these guys with a video camera con him into taking his shirt off and showing the camera his boobies-- FERRET GONE WILD!