Why do a significant number of lesbians dislike transwomen?

This goes way back, way before transsexuals had any rights that they have today so don't say because of ruining sports, invading safe spaces, internet trolling and the like because the dislike predates that. 

Favorite Answer

That's not nearly as true as you seem to think.

Probably for some of the same reasons that heterosexual men prefer to not date trans women

Because they see us as erasing the category of lesbian in two ways.  Bear in mind, incidentally, that many of us are also lesbian.  But if we haven't had bottom surgery, some people, lesbian or not, have a kind of moral panic about our genitals when in fact it just comes down to what two consenting adults want to do with each other, and on the other side they see F2M transition as reducing the number of lesbians and heteronormative.

I do not dislike any one. I do dislike some behavoires. I am a girl and I only want to be with women. I have heard horror stories of trans people trying to sleep with a real woman and the trans get mad when the woman refuses to sleep with a guy prettending to be a woman. If I liked boys I would like boys but I like women and that is all I want to be with!

Competition for men’s attention, we should stand for each other and not allow jealousy and shame to divide us.

Lesbians who dislike trans women tend to be wrapped up in terf (trans-exclusionary radical feminism) ideology. They're under the impression that trans women are "trying to change the definition of being a woman," or that they "want to take accomplishments away from cis women" and some think people having trans identities is "perpetuating sexist stereotypes."

None of these things that terfs claim are reasons for "standing up against trans ideology" (aka just being transphobic) are remotely true, but they're so convinced it is, and that's why they act the way they do. Trans-exclusionary radical feminism is a hate cult. But don't let them paint a bad picture for lesbians as a whole, please.

Edit: Jesus christ, I figured I wouldn't have to clarify this, but I guess I have to. I do not mean lesbians with dating preferences, as it's fine to simply not want to date trans women. That in and of itself isn't terflike and isn't transphobic. I am talking about those who go out of their way to put down trans people as a whole and disrespect their identities, in a social sense. Like misgendering or calling a trans woman a "trans-identified male" and attacking them for existing and other such BS.

Lesbians shouldn't be pressured into dating trans women, I agree with that. And it's also fine to criticize some aspects of the subject like competing in womens' sports without necessarily being a terf, as long as you're respectful about it. Again, I am talking about the actually hateful and disrespectful individuals; nothing to do with dating preferences or critique within reason.