Were you ever a model or approached by a modeling agent? And if so, why did you quit or reject the opportunity?

I mean, one of the best perks about modeling is that you get to travel the world.

• L
    Favorite Answer

Not all models "travel the world". Actually, the majority do not.

For example, a hand-model or nearly all of the models in print or online work will not "travel the world" unless the retailer or manufacturer employer is a global company.

Your premise is invalid.

There are very specific reasons *some* models "travel the world". Sometimes the shoot takes them to exotic places. Sometimes, they are pulled into sex-traffic activities. Sometimes they actually make enough money where they can pay for their own travel because some people like to travel...

I am not a model and never been approached for it but based on my experience with friends, there are many reasons why they rejected it. 

One is,it is a short term job. Only when you are below 30, you will have the demand and even in that case, not many will get the opportunity.

Secondly, not all or most of the models will get the chance to travel around the world unless you became a public figure.

Finally, especially for ladies, some of them had been approached to do modelling with bikini or sexy lingerie which almost revealing the full body and everybody from around the world will look at them almost nude which the models do not prefer.

sometimes pretty girls think they have what it takes to be a model

I modeled in my early 20s. The work can be inconsistent and not all models get to travel the world. I stopped doing it because I got my degree and started my office job. Modeling doesn’t last forever and most agencies don’t want you after 30. 

• Lili

I modeled in my late teens, while in college. I made some good money, but I really disliked it.  And most models don't get to travel the world. Most are just working stiffs who do very ordinary modeling.  Their careers are finite -- short-lived -- and they have to put up with a lot of sexual harassment and other problems. Many models have eating disorders and substance abuse issues.

It's not the glamorous life you think it is.

I was approached for modelling but family stood up, I was very young than and didn't know better.

Being approached by an agency isn't as simple as signing up and travelling the world. An agency is only the middle man in obtaining a job. They'll suggest or send  you to castings for work that they think fits your criteria and after that it's up to you to impress the casting director and convince them why they should choose you. An agency can absolutely help in building your portfolio and training you to become a model but at the end of the day you have to make people remember you and that's not easy work. I worked for an agency in high school, I was too short to do runway so often they would send me to castings for hair expos or shows. It wasn't bad money, $300 or so per show, the downfall was you had to be open to any hair cut or style because it wasn't up to you. The whole process took about 3 days in total. One of those days would just be cutting and styling hair, you could be sitting in a chair for hours, in between we would practice our routines and on the day we would get one or 2 dress rehearsals before go time. All in all it wasn't a lot of time to prepare. I enjoyed it at the time, but modelling in the end wasn't really for me. 

Yeah when I was a teenager, as a gf from school introduced  me to her agent when she gave me a ride home from school. It was fun for a minute, but I didn't like the phony people, the staring at me and trying to cop a feel.