Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 weeks ago

After completing infantry OSUT at Fort Benning, how long will it take to actually deploy overseas somewhere?

Before I start, I apologize if the question might sound confusing. I couldn’t really find the exact information I’m looking for anywhere online. 

I plan on joining the army as an active duty infantryman. As of now, I don’t plan on doing special operations, I’ll be satisfied with being either 11b or 11c. From what I can understand from doing my own research, is that you get sent to a duty station after graduating OSUT. 

How long would it usually take to actually get deployed somewhere overseas? (What I mean is that how long will you be at your duty station until you deploy) I’ve read that infantry get deployed more often than non combat. 

It all depends on WHAT UNIT YOU GET ASSIGNED TO and if they are being sent or not and when.

The Magic 8 shows "Who knows?" 

First you have to rank up and unlock the special loadout. Then it’s guaranteed you’ll be a Fobbit.

You may never deploy during your enlistment. The deployment rotation has slowed down enough that not all brigades will be deployed during a 4 year period.

but the priority for assigments coming from OSUT is to units that have been notified of a upcoming deployment and is filling out their manning, but then you could go to a unit that just got back from deployment and is filling up thier manning after people rotate out of the unit, that unit probably won't deploy again for 5 years.

2. you heard wrong-- they deploy brigades, not by MOS-- an army brigade has almost all MOSs assigned to it

• Mrsjvb

It all depends on where you get stationed.  You could deploy right away.  Or not at all

• Daniel

It could be fairly quickly or never.  It all depends on where your unit fits in whatever rotation they have and if they actually need to deploy that unit when it's deployable.   

You can't find the exact information because it doesn't exist.  Uncle Sam sends you where they think you are needed, not where you think you are needed or expect to go.  However, if you want to be deployed overseas then be sure to tell you chain of command once you reach your assignment.   

• Rick

You'd next be transferred to a unit and then the unit would be called-up .....................  around 2 or 3 weeks MINIMUM ..........