How Do I Get An Apartment In A New City Without A Job?

I have $150,000 in the bank from selling my house so I could pay a year upfront but I heard that with apartments they don’t let you do that. My credit score is in the high 700s and I am still currently working in my old city. I have no debts.

Should I just stay in a hotel until I can find a job? I'd love to go back to school but sounds like that isn't an option.

I know I am in the UK, so things may be different here. But a year or so ago my brother was in a similar situation. He got a place by paying his rent annually.

The letting agent said that landlords generally choose that option if they have the choice, because they know for the duration of the lease, they have their rent money. So possible problems a few months down the line.

Some landlords will take you if you can pay up front; but you'd have to ask individually. 

Good luck finding a job. China screwed the rest of the world, and people are dying because of the coronavirus, or covid-19. I would not be surprised if a lot of companies were to close down. Even if companies don't close down that doesn't mean people will be showing up to work if they end up getting infected, and dying from the coronavirus.

Finding, and getting work is probably going to get a lot harder.

If you want my two cents worth don't leave your current job! I don't know why you sold your home. I think you should invest in a livable asset.

I don't have as much money as you, but I am planning on investing in a home. I am also trying to get my own apartment.

I will remind you that if you end up living in an apartment then the chances of you getting infected will go up, and the same goes, for me too. I am not sure if I can get my own apartment, but what I am sure of is that I can buy my own livable asset. If I end up buying a livable asset then the chances of me getting infected are most likely going to go down.

Regarding myself I graduated from college when I was 21 years old, so I know what I want to do with my life. Are you not happy with what you are doing with your life?

• G R

It would depend on the landlord.  You might check for local realtors that deal with rentals and see if they can help you.  Just keep looking and asking around.

1st u should never give months in advance for rent because if they spend it or something happens and you have to leave it will be a problem.2nd u still need a job and a reliable source of income.

Someone will take a years rent in advance. A cosigner with a good job might help instead.

Certainly you will find an owner who is willing to rent you a home.  Rent someones house instead of a commercial apartment building. This way you can give the money upfront.  Then get a job in the new city.. wait a year and then re-apply to a commercial apartment building. 

Correct most apartments & most mangement companies will not do that. Money in the bank is good but it can all be gone tomorrow. You still have to have qualifying monthly income to rent. An extended stay hotel is a viable option until you get a job.