Can I put a self-taught "skill" on my resume?

I've been unemployed since March, and in the meantime I'm keeping my current skills fresh while trying to learn new things.  I worked in data/investment analytics so I spent a lot of time with Excel/VBA, but didn't get any experience with any other programming languages or programs.  I am aware that SQL is a language usually required in these kinds of roles so I've been putting in effort in trying to learn it through youtube and khan academy.  At this point I can say that I have a good understanding of it since I put in practice as well, but I'm not sure if this qualifies as a real skill as I have never put into practical use.

Would writing "Basic SQL" or even "Intermediate SQL" on my resume be valid?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Kyle
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

some interviews may "test" your knowledge in those areas.  maybe put a skills section below education for word, excel, and other technology skills you have. 

can you earn any certifications for those skills?  maybe look into doing that to put on your resume instead of just your own experience.  

• 3 weeks ago

Unless you are whiz at it, make sure to write that you are "self-taught and at a beginner level".

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, if you used it a lot and practiced what you've seen/learned.

No, if you've just watched Youtube videos.  

• 3 weeks ago

If you can do that work,  put it on the resume. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.