does anyone else think its fake when the checkout cashier says ' and how are you today'?

ive had that from time to time in the supermarket, and im normally aloof to the cashiers because they say that, as if they actually care or mean it? its fake and false, they don't legitimately want to know ' how you are today'?  what bullsh!t that is.

the trouble is i see through many people, they don't fool me.

• ?

One time a Walmart cashier asked me how are you today? I just replied with "hi" she looked at me like im dumb and said "um that was a rheatorical question" wtf stupid...

• denise

No, I think its pleasant / nice of them,  Just think how boring it is to be on the checkout for any length of time without any social discourse.

I enjoy the conversation, It breaks up / lightens my day.

Some cashiers may be genuine in their question, as they want to make a connection to  their customers, and equally as many will simply be reeling off what they have been taught, an automatic response without any thought.  Given your frustration, why not question the cashier's authenticity when asking the question?  Ultimately, you are responsible for how you respond to any scenario, so decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter.

mcdonalds once had their employees say  do you want to super size that  untill,the movie super size came out and they stopped doing it.  at kaybee toys they had to say do you want batteries with that when you were already buying batteries. 

When asked, respond with a detailed account of how your life has fallen apart you have no friends and how your embarrassing medical condition has flared up again. That ought to test whether they are interested or not.

So you don't return any greeting grumpy bear? What a tude you expressed in your short little rant. Smoke a little n lighten up

i dont think its fake

It is a polite greeting they have been trained to say, customer service.

They do not mean it, just go with it and say fine thanks or good thanks, no need to say more.

Or course.  They aren't trying to fool you that they care, just presenting themselves as friendly.  Either don't answer or make them regret asking the question by explaining to them in great detail how unhappy you are and how you think the question is BS and shouldn't be repeated.  Just maybe, when you return to that store ... they will remember you and bite their tongue.

Of course, greeting customers is a basic courtesy and necessary to grow a business.  Any kind of a training program would cover that.  But the training is lost on many.

In my experience:  the youngers who greet me are usually cheerful and trying to do a good job;  but most of them don't bother - they haven't a clue, ie they're doing me a favor to take my money.  And seems the older the cashier the more sincere - although they can't waste any time, they know it not only will cultivate repeat business, but helps break-up the day for them . . . . and have learned that a positive attitude makes them feel better.