Did I sink the interview with the last BS question. ?

I'm currently a photo tech at a drug store.  The hours are crappy.  The pay is crappy.  The benefits are crappy. 

I'm interviewed for a call center position for a cable company.  The hours are less crappy.  The pay is less crappy and the benefits are decent. 

I thought I totally rocked the interview--until the last question.  I gave examples of how I rock at customer service. I gave examples of how I rock at up-selling.  I tooted my own horn that in 2 years I've never been late once, and only have missed work due to illness 3 times. 

The second to last question was why did I want to work for them.  I said I wanted to work for an industry leader, and cited how this company had acquired a few other cable providers. 

Then the last question was "Why are manhole covers round?"

Like that was totally out of the blue.  I didn't see it coming.  It has nothing to do with my job or my previous job experience. 

So I just bs'ed my way through it.  I said that a circle is the optimal shape to fit a human down, in that it is easier to create with a drill and that it requires less area than any other shape. 

Turns out that was completely false and it has to do with manhole covers not falling through the manhole and ease of turning to open and close. 

So did I blow the interview with that last totally made up answer that she knew was made up the whole way through. 

And why would you ask a question totally unrelated the job or my previous job experience?

No.  They don't care whether you know about manhole covers.  The purpose of the question is to see if you can think logically.  The ability to think of a reasonable possibility, even if it's wrong, is more impressive than memorizing the right answer.

They wanted to see if you could think on your feet. 

The fact you tried to lie your way through the question is big.  Had you said you don't know, but logically here are some thoughts, then that would have been just fine.  

She got the information out of you that she wanted which was that you were not truthful.  I doubt you have a chance.

• Scott

It demonstrates your ability to think fast on your feet. BTW, I knew the correct answer.

• A

Interviewers like to surprise you with things you do not expect just to see how you think on your feet.  They don't expect the 'correct ' answer but just want to see how you work through it,