Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 weeks ago

My parents want me to marry someone to become a US citizen?

I'm an Asian and my parents want me to marry someone who I don't even know in order to become a US citizen, since they think that my life would be better if I live in the US. I'm only 23 and they want me to marry someone who is 50+ years old, and I am also in a 4 years relationship with someone whom I really love. They keep telling me that I am lucky to have this opportunity and keep comparing me with other people who have more miserable lives and did such thing. My relative is also willing to help me with expenses regarding this marriage and they also said that it would be embarrassing for me to reject such offer. 

How can I let them understand that I don't want this? I am just tired of hearing negative things from them.

We are not poor by the way and I am greatly satisfied with the simple life that I have.

10 Answers

  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Your parents sound very ignorant/uneducated if they think marrying an American will make you a US citizen AND they are also suggesting visa fraud and that you comply and commit that visa fraud............ not something that loving parents would do, get their child to commit a crime and while they sit happily outside the

    reach of US laws  you and this 'US citizen' will pay the cost of that crime.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Perhaps remind them that visa fraud is illegal.

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    What your parents really mean is that they want you to commit immigration fraud so that in three years you can naturalize and then turn around and sponsor them. But the US is in its sunset at the moment so maybe just have Mom and Dad open a newspaper. Unless you live in Syria there's absolutely no possibility that life in the US will be better for you over the next few years. We are living the Decembrists at the moment. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    First, if a Chinese marries an American, you have a Chinese married to an American. The Chinese won't become an American, and the American won't become a Chinese. That's pretty easy to understand, yes?

    Secondly marriage is one of the most important events in one's life. Getting married to an old man in order to obtain immigration benefits is an awful high price to pay.

    Finally, doing this is a crime, punishable with up to 5 years in prison and $250,000. If your parents really expect you to do that, it's probably time to become your own person.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    First realize that US Immigration is very aware of marriage fraud for a visa and a 25 year age gap will be very suspicious to them.  If your marriage is declared a fraud then not only will you not get the visa but you may be banned from ever entering the USA.  

    If you are unable to resist the family pressure and your new husband is able to sponsor you for a spouse visa then the "conditions" on your status as a US Permanent Resident will be removed two years after you receive your green card ID.  A year later you can apply for citizenship, meaning you will be a citizen about four (4) years after you enter the USA on the spouse visa.  Once you are a US citizen you can divorce your US citizen husband and return to your home country.

    Note some countries do not allow dual or multiple nationality and you need to know the law in your country before you do anything.   


  • 4 weeks ago

    Doing something like this is HIGHLY illegal, and has huge fines.  And, yes, they will catch you if you try it.  You can tell your parents that.

  • 4 weeks ago

    friend do exactly what your parents are suggesting that you do marry somebody that is a United States citizen become a citizen tell the person that you're marrying that you're not quite sure what the future holds but for right now that you're going to get married and you're going to do your job as a wife or husband in America marriages are disposable you can get a divorce very easily if you decide that you no longer want to be married to a person you will still be a United States citizen after this happens so don't be dumb take the opportunity and if you want to get divorced later get divorced later for right now become a citizen

  • 4 weeks ago

    Do what you want to do.  No one should make decisions for.  I look in on a website called Cherry Blossoms.  Women from the Philippines make themselves available for marriage anywhere in the world.  The US alone has several hundred divorced and separated Filipina women looking for new mates.  So don't you do it as well.

  • Robert
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Well you are 23.  I assume that is legal age where you live.  So move out and live on your own.  If you depend upon your parents for support than you have to listen to some of what they say, but trying to marry you off is a little more than you should have to do.  

  • 4 weeks ago


    Your situation is not new. Oldest story in the book. 

    Your parents are thinking about your future and having a better life with wealth and luxury.

    🥴 Where as you're willingly wanting to live in poverty for puppy love. 

    A dutiful daughter listens to wise advise. A foolish daughter wastes her life away, penniless. 

    Poverty kills. And kills you young over exhaustion. 

    Listen to your parents. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.