Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

Do you think my sister is being purposely dramatic?

My sister was really close with our father. He died of cancer in 2003 at the age of 48. At the time I was 27 years old and my sister was 23 years old. Ever since his death she has been a different person. She has a husband and three kids and has done okay since then, but she every now and then she gets really depressed and starts crying and talking about how our dad never got to see her husband and kids. It has been 17 YEARS. And she still acts like this happened yesterday. I got over it and yet she still crys and gets depressed even now. Why is she being so lazy and dramatic

Favorite Answer

She sounds stuck and unable to process the "Living through" aspect of grief. I would strongly suggest she get into personal counseling. It sounds like she needs it. I would doubt she is purposely harming herself and her family. 

She's still processing it. Don't be rude. 

Sounds like she's still processing the loss, that's okay. Shaming her for it won't snap her out of it. It's very normal to be reminded of a loved one who has passed from time to time and feel some sorrow. You and she are different people, let her feel how she feels. You don't have gush all over her and shouldn't... if it is purely an attention thing, then she'll stop when it's not getting her attention. I'm not sure how grieving is laziness? 

i dont think so

My mother died in 1988 right after I had a baby. I was 29  she just turned 49.. That was 32 years ago. My dad died in 2007 and my little brother died in 2011, when he was 48.

Every now and again, I still cry when I least expect it  especially when I hear a certain song or something pops up as a sentimental reminder. It is a normal emotion.

Shame on you for not understanding. At least when one of us siblings gets upset out of the blue, we comfort one another. I am so glad you are not my cold hearted sibling.

What do you mean by "every now and then"?   If she became upset every other day, this would be bad.  If it happens occasionally, it's absolutely fine and it's also very normal.  My sibs and I are around your age, and we lost my mom when I was 21.  My sis has 4 young kids, and she talks about this herself.  I feel it with my career accomplishments. 

I don't know why you call her lazy and dramatic.  People respond to traumatic events in very different ways.  Maybe she thinks you're cold and unfeeling.

• Linda

I don't see your sister as being lazy and dramatic because she still mourns her father. Nobody has the right to say whether she is purposely being dramatic or because she is truly heartbroken. You should not judge her and let this go.

Source(s): Have two sisters and do not judge them even though I have gone no contact with my youngest.

Depression is not about "drama", it's about ongoing pain.  Your sister might benefit from seeing a professional psychotherapist to help her with her grief and unresolved issues.   If you don't want to help your sister, at the very least you can stop hurting her with your judgemental criticism.

how does that make her lazy?