Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Why do strangers think it’s okay to come over and touch my infant? How do I make it STOP?!?!?!?

• sarah

Whenever I took my daughter out in public any time from birth to about six weeks old, I kept her in her carrier with a blanket/cover over it. That tends to discourage most people; there are also little signs you can get to hang on a carrier that talk about how germs are too big for such a little baby, so maybe look into one of those (I know you can get them on Etsy, but I'm sure there's lots of other places, too). If approached by someone who tries to strike up a conversation and starts asking questions about the baby, keep your answers short and keep moving, if at all possible. If they ask to take a peek, make it clear that you will only allow it if they agree not to touch -- or, if you don't want to allow it, just say, "No, he/she is sleeping," or just flat-out, "No, I'm not comfortable with that." Personally, I have a pretty good Resting ***** Face, lol, so I think that solved most of my problems.

I know it can be hard to seem like you're being rude -- especially if you've been taught to respect elders and the people trying to touch your baby ARE elders...but at the end of the day, to heck with that. THEY are being rude, too, and sometimes, the only way people understand the error of their ways is when they get a taste of their own medicine.

Why? Because babies are bait. How do you make it stop? Tell them to back off, "Please don't touch the baby, thanks." Other ways are to make the baby less accessible, say, instead of a stroller or open carseat, put a lightweight blanket over the hood so people can't see the baby. Another option is to use a sling or soft carrier to keep the baby close to you and make them harder to access, because then they'll also have to invade your space as well. You can put a sign on the baby's seat or stroller that says, "Please respect my space." Or, "Please don't touch me." 

Go all Mama or Papa bear on them. (IDK your gender.)