Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

English is not my native language but I lived in an English speaking country for years. Do I need to study before taking IELTS Exam?

Not knowing at what level you functioned in English, it's impossible to say.  I have relatives who've lived in the US for decades and aren't fluent in English.

For tests like this, which tend to focus on grammar and comprehension in an academic setting, it's important to study and take practice tests to make sure you know what to expect. Understanding and speaking a language in an everyday setting is not the same thing as passing a test to assess your full knowledge of a language. At the very least, look at the sample questions on the IELTS website and see how comfortable you feel answering them. If you have any doubt, start preparing. There are likely study guides specifically for this test. Good luck!