Can you day trade with Roth IRA account just like the regular stock market platforms?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Aside from everyone who has said that this is a bad idea (because it is), be advised that you absolutely cannot margin trade with an IRA account. Borrowing against an IRA is a "prohibited transaction" and the IRS treats it as if you withdrew the entire IRA at the beginning of the year, with a penalty.

• 4 weeks ago

Can you usually.  Should you, no. 

• 4 weeks ago

As far as I know, that are not any brokers that allow a margin account in any kind of IRA. Without a margin account you are limited to the restriction that apply to a cash account. That prevents you from doing enough day trading to be classified as a position day trader. You are also constrained by the free-riding rule.

Unless you find a broker that will allow you to have a margin account in a Roth IRA you are limited to doing a minimal amount of day trading in the account.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It appears that you can, but why would you, since the purpose of a Roth is for long term investments for retiring? 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

The federal tax laws that control Roth IRA accounts don't prohibit it. But most brokers either have fee structures designed to discourage it, or they outright prohibit it.

Seems like a google search for "day trading Roth accounts" would be the first place a person would start if they wanted to piss their money away trying to do this.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes you can day trade in a ROTH account.  

What the hell is regular stock platform ??  All equity orders are entered on the same platform, there is no such think as "stock market platform"

• Bill
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I have a Roth IRA account with Fidelity.  I can trade stocks in it but I tend to stick with low cost mutual funds because I am in for the long haul.  

• 4 weeks ago

It wouldn't be very smart.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.