Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Are calicos or black cats better?

People with either a black female or calico, what are your cats personalities like? I know they’re just colors, but I’ve seen a lot of people say that their black cats are aggressive And dominate. And I read an article where it said calicos are more aggressive and sassy because they’re “sex linked”. I just want to know there’s at least one person who has had a loving calico or black cat because I was planning on getting either one of those until I read what others said 

All colors in cats are sex linked.. The color link is on the X chromosome..

Females carry 2 X chromosomes..  So if she has the gene for black and orange, both colors will be expressed as a tortie or calico.

A male (having 1X and 1Y chromosome) with the same color genetic combo would be black carrying orange.

Colors have nothing to do with temperament.

Every single black cat that I've ever met has been such a friendly soul. This myth about black cats being evil has got to stop. Black cats rock!

The only reason calico/tortie cats are sassier is because they're 99.9% female.  Female cats usually have way attitude than males.

The colour of a cat's coat has NOTHING to do with their personality.  If you want to adopt a cat go there not picking a colour like you're buying a chair.  Go there and see which cat picks YOU.  Which one is friendliest?  Most likes being petted?  Likes to play?

Pick an adult cat over a kitten so you can see the true adult personality.  With kittens you have no way of knowing what they will be like as adults.6 out of the last 7 cats I've adopted were adult cats.  From 2 1/2 years old all the way up a 14 year old cat.  All were super friendly, playful and VERY affectionated.  Most bonded to me cat I've ever known was already 4 years old when I got her.  She passed away a couple of years ago and I was devastated.  

A year after I lost her I adopted a 6 year old cat (a tortie, by the way) and she's as bonded to me as she was.  Same with a 7 month old Persian kitten I rescued at Christmas.  3 out of my 4 current cats are torties.  Only the oldest one has a bit of attitude to the other cats but that's because she's the alpha.  She doesn't fight with them but if she thinks they're lying to close or if the kitten decides he wants to post on her all bets are off LOL  She's really good with a hard paw open SLAP right to their faces.  She's incredibly sweet to me and anyone else she meets.  

• Joey

Too much drama.  Mine has been protesting Black Cats Matter since May.

• Ocimom

Tortitude is the term used for tortoiseshelll and calico cats.  Means they have a tendency to be hot/cold cats.  Nice one time, and "hell" the next time.  But they are worth having.  I owned a few over the years and most of them were pretty nice.  Black cats are not dominate cats for the most part.  I prefer bicolor (black and white) over all black.

Every cat is different, but calicos are more likely to be female, also black cats are the same as any other cat, that superstition is just stupid

Every cat has a different personality and it is not determined by color at all. 

I have had 3 black and 2 calico (and 3 tortie) cats and have cared for several others and all were/are very friendly cats. I find that cats in general are friendly. Don't let the color of a cat stop you from getting it. 

All the black cats I have ever met are lap cats.

• Maxi

The shade of the coat is nothig to do with the cats  temperament..over the years I have had both and they have always had lovely temperaments

• Dv8s

I've had my black cat for 8 years, and I've never seen him kill anything.  He's very gentle and respectful with even an insect he may be curious about.  He's an outdoor cat, but comes into the house whenever he wants, he's never had an accident inside, we have no litter box, he does all his business outside.  Couldn't ask for a better cat.