Will PayPal refund me for a scam?

I recently was messaged on Facebook by a woman telling me she is selling snails. I think she saw my comment on someone’s status saying I wanted a certain breed of snail. I paid her about 60 dollars converted into pounds. I paid for the three day shipping so the snail would not die on the way. She claims she sent it out but it has been a week and nothing, and I asked her for a tracking number but she says she was not given one. I’m afraid she is scamming me. If so, will PayPal refund me the money and not let her keep it? Even if I bought something through messwngse on Facebook and not through an actual website? I chose the payment protection option instead of family and friends if that is relevant. I’m worried she’s scamming me. Does it sound probable that there could be no tracking number for international three day shipping? And will PayPal refund me the money if she scams me? 

Paypal is just a courier service for money. It's not a protection organization or a credit card company. If you paid through your bank account, did not get the goods for the money you paid, you may simply be out of luck here. Paypal isn't going to go after her, or help you out. They can't. They don't have "funds" somewhere for this. 

Have you tried cancelling the payment to her? Or have you notified your bank not to allow the withdrawal?  If not, you started in the wrong place. You may lose more than just the money you paid for the goods. Change your Paypal and bank account passwords right away if money hasn't yet been withdrawn. 

you should call paypal and ask them.

You should start a dispute with PayPal over her and see what they say.

You ordered "Snails"?  So I am guessing these are not FAST SNAILS?  So they are going to come at a snail's pace.        If they are LIVE snails then they are stuck at Customs as foreign animals are not allowed to enter the U.S. as it is a domestic threat.   Really.  Call them and inquire about snails from another country "overseas".  That is where the problem is. Phone Customs and ask GENERAL INFORMATION.    This may be classed as an (invasive species.) so not allowed into the country.They don't need a tracking number. This would be in their computers.. Just because you want it means you are going to get it...because of government LAWS.  It is some-thing YOU should have known.

Would PP be responsible for you taking a Gamble.  I am doubting it.

• P

You need to open up a dispute with paypal asap.  They will probably refund it if you do it soon enough.

It's between you and the snail lady, not paypal.  Report the lady to law enforcement.

Ask your question to Paypal; only they can give the right answer. They don't owe you anything, as what they do is ensure payment goes to the person specified. They don't guarantee the person is legitimate, but it's worth a try.

You should be able to lodge a fraud complaint with pay pal. They will then start an investigation on the issue. Then you will just sit and wait. It usually takes about 30 days from start to finish. Good luck

• Murzy

You shipment might be hung up in Customs to determine if they can enter the country and if any Duty or Taxes are to be levied.

• Wow! It sounds like she is scamming you. And I'm sorry you're going through that by the way. Yes, paypal will be able to give you a refund. All you have to do is log into your paypal account and write up a dispute and they'll do it. Just explain to them everything that happened. Hope this works out for you.