In this paragraph, I do not understand the use of these two sentences:"how's about that?" and "what do you say that, Tom.?

“I wouldn’t be surprised if you was to get a promotion for this,” the sergeant said. “You been a patrolman a pretty long time. And just a couple days ago I was thinking you was a horse’s ***. How’s about that? What do you say to that, Tom?”

• Tasm
    Favorite Answer

"How about that" is an expression, kind of like "What a surprise!" Because he thought Tom was one way and found out he was totally opposite. 

"What do you say to that" is asking Tom what he thinks about getting a promotion and also to see what Tom's reaction is what the sergeant thinks. 

• RP

The first is equivalent to, now you know, and the second is asking for a reaction or what the person thinks of what s/he has just been informed.