Boy
Boy asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

What do you do when your neighbors scary pit bulls come out while you mow the lawn? ?

Pit bulls are really popular in my neighborhood, my neighbors all have a few, some even run loose in the streets without an owner.

Whenever I mow the lawn, they go to my chain link fence And hop up on it and aggressively bark and growl. They have their two front paws almost to the top of the fence and growl and viciously bark.

I ignore them, and the neighbors next door to us just got out of prison serving time, I know little about them but through rumors this is what I’ve heard.

What should. I do? 

Favorite Answer

If the neighbor's dog actually hops the fence (not just stands there with its feet on it) & starts threatening you  (in your own yard)- you can: 

1) go inside & call animal control (if you have leash laws) or 2) you can spray the dog in the face with mace or pepper spray you should always HAVE on you, if dogs (you fear are dangerous) run loose in your neighborhood.  Postal mail carriers carry and use such spray - and it DOES work, I've had to use it.

• Robert

I would never advise anyone to toss a quarter pound of poisoned hamburger over the back fence at night to rid the neighborhood of a dangerous dog.  So I really don't have any advice.

• *****

As they are in their fenced yard, you simply ignore them and carry on with mowing your lawn.

We only have one pittie in the neighborhood, and she's sweet, but very intimidating. She barks at everyone first, sniffs your foot, then licks your leg and wants pets. It's her little ritual, but we KNOW her. 

DO NOT EVER run, growl/tease/taunt back, stamp your foot at it, or look it straight in the eye. You're doing it right: IGNORE. If they run up on you, calmly turn off your mower (NO EYE CONTACT), cross your arms, and turn away. Ignore, ignore, ignore. The dog will (hopefully) eventually see you as borning, not exciting in the least, and move on. Never express interest or fear, just turn around, cross the arms, ignore, and calmly walk away. 

If the dog happens to be barking like crazy coming at you with the mower still on, screw turning off the mower and do above. A running mower is not worth a nasty dog bite.  

If the dogs are running around the neighborhood, you can also call animal control to pick them up.

Move to a white suburb you retard