Book Suggestions?

Hi all,

I really love The Last of Us 1, 2 and the DLC. I'm really into post apocalyptic stories in general that have to do with zombie like creatures and/or survival. 

The whole, tag team or person against the world or something idea? Other than The Road is they're any books out there that is sorta like TLOU games? 

Doesn't have to be exact, just a loose idea; or similar to certain concepts big or small that are in the game. 

I'm open to a lot. I'm usually interested in girl main characters, but honestly I don't really care. I know I'm being vague, but hopefully you all can help me find a new read!

Thank you!

You'd just LOVE Enid Blyton's "Secret Seven" and "Famous Five" books. Those horrendous things are filled to the brim with Zombie-like creatures.

• Zac Z

I'm not a gamer and even though post-apocalyptic stories isn't my main focus I love speculative fiction and will suggest two classics. They don't fit the bill 100% but you might be interested anyway:

- "The Stand" by Stephen King. This is a massive tome*, an real epic tale of well over 1,000 pages that'll keep you busy for a couple of days. The first part tells about a pandemic that wipes out most of the world's population (this was published back in the late 70s so not a corona copycat story); later it focuses on various people in the aftermath of this catastrophe and evolves into an epic story between good and evil.

There are some ten different narrative strands at the start whose stories come together over the course of the novel but being a King novel it's makes you turn the pages from the very beginning.

There are no zombies but it certainly has a post-apocalyptic feel to it.

- "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson. In case you've seen any the movie and think you know the story, well, you don't. In fact, that film with Will Smith was already the third adaptation and none of them really followed the book too well.

Published in 1954, this might be the first vampire novel that approaches the topic in a scientific manner. It's rather a science fiction tale than horror.

Again, no zombie but vampires. It's definitely a survivor story as it focuses on what might be the last human survivor in Los Angeles trying to keep surviving in a world where civilization has collapsed and all people have become vampires.

It's a rather slim novel for today's standards (and certainly compared to "The Stand").

If you're interested, make sure you get the collection also titled "I Am Legend". It combines the novel (which is only about 160 pages) with ten other stories by Matheson! These collections** are not too expensive and worth the money.   ;-)

* In fact, King was pushed by the publisher to make cuts to his original version, that have since been reinstated. From the wiki article: "When the novel was originally published in 1978, Doubleday warned King that the book's size would make it too expensive for the market to bear. As a result, he cut about 400 pages (around 150,000 words) from the original manuscript. This edition reinstates most of the deleted pages (as selected by King), as well as updates the setting from the 1980s to the 1990s."

** Given that both collection and novel have identical titles you can identify the collection by its page count which should be a little over 300 pages.

You might like the Newsflesh series by Mira Grant, or The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey.

Try Nicholas Sparks.

• Speed

There are lots of excellent post-apocalyptic books. Here are some I've enjoyed:

Robopocalypse

The Library at Mount Char

Station Eleven

The Last Policeman

World War Z

The Water Knife

Oryx and Crake

The Girl With All the Gifts

The Stand

The Road

(Edited to fix absent line wraps. WTF, Yahoo?)

Have you read the Alice in Zombieland books? They're gearded toward older teens, but are full of zombies.