Soldiers shooting or attacking their own people by mistake, does it happen a lot?

Update:

On the battlefield.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Yes Bombing shelling shooting allies comes under friendly fire and happens all the Time because American Military is Trigger happy

Kent state proved that

• 3 weeks ago

--  Yes, it happens, and more than people think.  Sometimes it bombs and rockets being dropped on the wrong position, sometimes it is artillery dropped on the wrong position (or faulty artillery shells). Other times it is soldiers who do not recognize that they are firing on fellow countrymen or allies.

--  Americans are known as the worst offenders in this regard.

-- As an Australian TV News cameraman, working in Cambodia during the Second Indochina (Vietnam) War, I was bombed by US aircraft which dropped its bombs 200 meters short of its target. The Cambodian general I was with swore in several languages. Also, a US B-52 bombed a township of Neak Loung in 1973 when the bombardier forgot to flop a switch on the targeting beacon coordinating.

--  Australian soldiers in Vietnam were often shelled by faulty US supplied artillery shells to the New Zealand army.

--  

• 3 weeks ago

Pat Tillman was killed in what they first called a "friendly fire" accident........but there was nothing "friendly" about it...... and evidence pointed to that he was flat out MURDERED by someone in his platoon, and they covered it up. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I can't speak from experience but I'm sure it happens more often than they lead us to believe.  War is chaos.  How do you even know who you're shooting at when the bullets are flying everywhere and you're just trying not to die?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

It certainly can happen.  Americans are a bit noted for it.  They have attacked Canadians by mistake in Afghanistan for example.  I think they call it "green on green."

• 4 weeks ago

nope, friendly fire happens so infrequently, thats why its always blown out of porportion now a days

• 4 weeks ago

No it doesn't...

• 4 weeks ago

The most common event involve artillery fire that is misdirected or at least one case in WWII bombing troops when the bombs were drop in the wrong place. It is very seldom that soldiers actually shoot other soldiers. So you will know it is commonly referred to as "friendly fire"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.