Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

What are w9 forms for and do I have to do something with it?

I never realized but a mistake was made on the w9 form I signed last year and I haven't been able to contact the employer (they don't answer emails) , I only made $250 and they made me sign the w9. I just recently found out that you have to file self employment tax (even if you don't make enough money to file for taxes) when u get issued a w9 and misc1900 (cuz I got paid more than $600 on a different job). I dont have a work but do I have to include that $250 somehow or can I just ignore it since its under the limit

Again, I'm in school so I don't have to file taxes because I don't make enough

Fortunately you don't need the 1099.  You just include the $250 as part of your self-employment income.  $250 is under the limit where they had to send you one anyway.  If you had 10 clients (not employers) and they each paid you $250, you could get anywhere from 0 to 10 1099s.  You would have to report the entire $2500 calculated from your records.

• A

the W=9 is for you to fill out your information for your employer, they need it to fill out their paperwork for the IRS

You must include it.  It is not under the limit.  The limit is a TOTAL, not per job.  You DO have to file, because you appear to have more than $400 for the year of self employment income.  being in school has no bearing on your obligation to file.