Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 3 weeks ago

How to let long time nanny go?

We have had the same nanny for our 5 year old daughter since she was 6 months old. The nanny brings her own daughter, who is the same age as ours, and the girls are great friends. 

However, we recently had another child, who was in the NICU for 2 months and we are worried about COVID exposure for him. Our nanny’s husband works at a restaurant during the day and a bar in the evenings. Additionally, her daughter and ours go to different preschools. We love our nanny, and our daughter loves her and her daughter. But we are worried that between her husband’s jobs and two preschools, the COVID risk is too great. Additionally we are concerned about the logistics of two school drop offs and pick ups with a newborn.We are looking into other nannies who would be lower risk. If we find someone we like, how do we let our current nanny go? And how do we tell our daughter without breaking her heart? 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

I think this is a rough situation, but it's one that you have a very good point regarding. Right now it is not a great time to have people with high exposure potential around anyone who could be medically fragile and with a newborn having been in the NICU, that's a huge risk. I would hope that your nanny understands that and will be able to step away from the position with grace... though I know it's going to be hard on everyone. Finding a nanny with less risk doesn't mean that you break off the relationship completely, while it's not a great time for playdates and whatnot, the two girls can keep their friendship and your daughter can video chat with the nanny and her daughter. 

• 3 weeks ago

Any other nanny you hire, unless she agrees to stay with you 24/7, will also come and go and expose your family to Covid.  You and your husband, assuming you have a nanny because you both work, are coming and going and have as great a chance of bringing Covid home as any nanny does.

Re: the other issues of two schools, etc., have a planning discussion with your current nanny and see what she thinks about it. She may come to the same conclusion and agree that it's time to find another job, or she may find a solution you haven't thought of.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.