Why do you think parents have different views on this?

I am a 27 year old female and I currently live with my family. I enjoy being with my family. Pretty soon though, I will be moving out. I feel like it will be hard. I have two friends who don't have to move out at all. One of my friends, her parents bought a house for her and her husband and the parents to live in together. My other friend lives with her family where she has always lived in her childhood home. I don't think their parents have ever talked to them about moving out.

My parents, on the other hand, are completely different and want me to move out on my own and pay my own rent and bills. They think it is odd for someone to live at home for so long. 

Why do you think parents have different views/parenting about what children should be doing? Whether that's moving out or staying home. 

Favorite Answer

Some parents are happy to have their kids near. Some parents want their house back and to themselves. Some parents want their kids to move out and become independent so they know they will be able to survive when they are gone.

cause everyone is different

This often varies on how intelligent the child is or how over protective the parent is. 

My mom was so Over protective, I first ran away in the second grade. She wanted to suffocate me and my life!  She did not want me to have anything to say about my own life. She tried to get me to fail school.  I have three diplomas post high school. 

I have also always put God first in my life! So my life has real LOVE in it. 

Partly this is a result of wealth. If you can afford to buy your kid a house, you might feel so inclined, but if you can't afford it, it's out of the question.. Some parents are very concerned with fostering independence and a sense of responsibility in their offspring. It's different parenting styles.

It's because of culture. Some cultures it's totally weird that people would even consider moving out of home unless they are married. Other cultures say get out of home. Some parents think it helps their kids grow and become independent but that is a load of crap, you can become independent while still living with parents. 

It also depends on family dynamics. I have a friend that wanted me to move out with her but I said why should I move out of home when I get along with my parents just fine and they love having me at home? Why would I pay a stranger rent when I can give that money to my parents and be in an environment where I don't have to tread on eggshells with other roomates? But she sees it differently and that she feels held back. But I respect my parents and they respect my provacy like adults so it depends on family values as well.

My best advice is that you sit with your parents a gauge their point of view. They may feel like they get no privacy from you, or they feel like you are dependent on them. Discuss with them the fact you are an adult and there is no reason why you can't all live as adults, you do your thing, they do their thing, but you contribute to household like a grown adult and that gives you adult privileges and you will give them their privacy.