Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 3 weeks ago

why do many men that conform to toxic masculinity not realize how unhealthy their behavior is ?

i don't even think these men realize how they are being toxic. they think it makes them real tough men, but they are just flaunting insecurities because they are so obsessed with trying to one-up everyone 

• Nancy
    Favorite Answer

You started off on a good tack, but then you veered off course with an attack. It behooves men to acknowledge toxic masculinity not so much because it's toxic to others but because it's toxic to themselves, like putting on a charade that you don't give a sh1t when you really do actually makes you unhappy, like, "Oh, I can't make my apartment look too nice or people will think I'm gay, so I'll just let it suck that I live in a depressing, ugly little shithoIe until some woman takes me in and I finally can have nice furniture and can sleep on nice sheets and can have fluffy bath towels without having it be a self-sabotage of my manhood because I can just blame it all on her while I role my eyes and pretend I don't love it when I really do, which I'll never admit of course, because that would threaten my manhood, too."

First off, most of what passes for "toxic masculinity" is normal, heterosexual male behaviour that is rewarded by women who give their sex to men that display that behaviour, as has occurred throughout most of history.

This "toxic masculinity", as it's called, is like training a dog to be a vicious guard dog, but then getting mad when it bites someone.

Secondly, "toxic masculinity" is not really defined in any proper way outside of sjw and feminist circles where it is more often used as a pejorative.  For this reason, it is never going to be accepted by most men, and much of society.  When a lot of men hear "toxic masculinity" they hear feminist social engineering nonsense and just shut down.  Sorry, but it's like referring  to black people by using the n word when trying to begin a serious and then wondering why you've lost your audience at the outset.

Women can also be toxic. Look at johnny depp and his crazy ex-wife.

Unhealthy? That has been framed by feminists to encourage men to be soft and weak. 

Could you list some of these so toxic behaviours?

Narcissistic personality disorder have reduced gray matter volume in areas of the brain related to empathy and heightened activity during rest in brain regions associated with self-directed and self-absorbed thinking.

Psychopaths have reduced connections between the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, the part of the brain responsible for sentiments such as empathy and guilt, and the amygdala, which mediates fear and anxiety. Psychopath brains has significantly less grey matter in the anterior rostral prefrontal cortex and temporal poles than the brains of the non-psychopathic offenders and non-offenders.Psychopaths, are characterized by a lack of empathy, had less grey matter in the areas of the brain important for understanding other peoples emotions.

You mean how drunk frat guys try to see who's the loudest at 2 AM?

What exactly is toxic masculinity?