I am my father's Durable Power of Attorney, HealthCare Power of Attorney, and Pre-Need Guardian.  But something went AWRY!?

My BROTHER contacted my father's attorney.  He is not POA or anything.. yet my father's attorney GAVE him a copy of my father's Last Will and Testament.. while my father is still alive!  Did that attorney have any right to do that?  

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

If your father gave the attorney permission to give your brother a copy of the will that is legal and appropriate, otherwise, no.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Of course they can.  He is a family member, after all.

• 4 weeks ago

You may HAVE Power of Attorney, but there is NO SUCH THING as being the document. It is 100% acceptable to give copies of the will to anyone with the consent of the client. In fact, it is NORMAL to distribute multiple copies of a will to ensure someone knows where one is when needed.

Based on your clear ignorance of the law, I suggest your father REVOKE the authority given to you by the documents you claim to be, and grant it to your brother.

• 4 weeks ago

Maybe he did, maybe he did not. Only another lawyer could say for sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Perhaps your father told the lawyer it was OK.  Why is it you do not want your brother to see the will?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.