Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 4 weeks ago

Do TMJ symptoms appear in less than a week?

My mid-40’s aged mother has TMJ and explains it’s symptoms as having a tender jaw when she just starts eating, jaw clicking when opening wide, jaw pain, etc. I just started having a painful jaw when chewing and it will not close on the right side without extreme pain. No clicking or other common TMJ symptoms. I’m going to the dentist/orthodontist Tuesday to get an x-ray, but this doesn’t seem like it would be TMJ. I’m an 18 year old male and I take very good care of my teeth. I’m worried it might be jaw cancer or something. Any ideas as to what it could be other than TMJ?

Update:

These symptoms popped up over the course of only two days and after four days it’s severe. Last week I felt completely normal, painless, and healthy.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Please try *not* to panic.  The pain may be from a tooth infection (abscess) or TMJ, for instance.  You're going to the dentist on Tuesday, so an x-ray should be given, especially to rule out a tooth abscess (infection), for instance.  

Even if one does have a tooth abscess, it's usually very treatable by having root canal therapy (usually from an endodontist).  

With regard to those who have TMJ, a bite guard (or "jaw splint") and/or physical therapy (PT) may help.  Before possibly getting PT, one would need to get a referral from a dentist, for instance.  Perhaps you can also mention to your mother to consider a physical therapist who is trained in Rocabado treatment (which is the last name of the PT who teaches such therapy techniques).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.