sarah asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

Will I gain weight if I eat only a protein bar every day for 5 days?

I know to lose weight there needs to be a calorie deficit. But not eating slows down your metabolism, so I feel like the body will try to hold onto any food it gets. 

Will the 1 protein bar a day get stored in the body and make a person gain weight ?

Given that you will burn 1500 calories or so just being alive and a protein bar is about 300 calories maybe, there is no way you will gain weight.  That one protein bar will still put you in starvation and slow metabolism.

• Alpha

Caloric deficit does NOT mean not eating. That is just absurd. Caloric deficits means you burn off more calories than you consume. And burning off calories does not mean only by exercising. Your body burns calories even when you are not exercising. It's call Basal Metabolic Rate.

Eating only protein bar for days is very unhealthy.  Things like protein bars are supplements. They are not meant to replace well balanced meals. It's like eating only a steak everyday for 5 days. Not healthy.

As for "...body will try to hold onto any food it gets."  That doesn't make any sense.  If you are starving your body, your body is going to use every morsel of food it gets. Why would it bother to set anything aside for later when it is already desperate for nutrients?