Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

Did english native speakers also did not understand the conversations in the movie sometimes ?

Because in the movie especially hollywood movies, they are using slang, idioms, talking fast and many more. Did english native speakers have ever got problems about the conversations in the movie? Eventough they are english native speakers.

For me, in normal conversations in real world, i can understand english native speakers so good and so clear, eventhough my vocab is not really much, but i know vocab pretty much to understand conversations in real world. But in the movie, its my problems, i still not understand them in full conversations, is tha because my vocab is limited or its just normal, because sometimes english native speakers also did not understood?

• Zirp

Of course. English is spoken by hundreds of millions, in hundreds of dialects and with hundreds of different accents.  If it weren't for radio, TV and national armies, people from the north of England wouldn't understand those from southern England

Yeah, you're not as good at English as you like to think. This post of yours proves that without a scintilla of doubt. The only time native English speakers struggle to understand movies is when the movie is highly dialectal, like when Trainspotting came out, theaters in America got so many complaints from American movie-goers who didn't understand the extremely rare and specific Glaswegian dialect that they started showing it with subtitles. Normally, though, we understand everything, even when it's from another English dialect.