Anonymous

Will I get accepted anywhere?

I was planning to go school to become a LPN or maybe a medical assistant but I am not sure if I'll be able to go to school at all now because my high school GPA is extremely low & and it's literally only 1.57 (I already graduated and now have my high school diploma.). What should I do?

Actually, I did NOT ask this question off anonymous, I am not asking about becoming a phlebotomist (I DON'T want to become a phlebotomist.), and I am not asking about everywhere, I'm asking about anywhere. I am asking if it will be possible for me to even be able to attend a trade school or at the very least a community college. Should I just look for different careers then or not look for any careers at all? because I probably don't have any hope anyways.

Do not lecture me at all or give me any judgemental comments, I DON'T need it at all at this time being and I already know about my consequences. I have such a low GPA because I was dealing with constant stress, problems at home & I had a learning disability. Not everyone had easy lives growing up and if you had my hard life then maybe you would understand.

I guess I won't look into any colleges or other schools at all since it will just take dozens of work and stress to be able to get into any programs and since I'm so stupid and my grades are so poor.

Favorite Answer

Please know that, in general, there is always hope.  You're NOT hopeless whatsoever :)  

With regard to medical assistant (or medical biller or coder), unfortunately, there are *not* supposed to be too many jobs these days.  Most doctor's offices prefer or require job applicants with a couple of years related work experience.

Pertaining to LPN, please be aware that the program is supposed to be quite intense and one should be rather adept in science-related classes.  I believe that a lot of jobs for LPNs are supposed to be nursing homes or long-term care facilities.  The nursing student will need to get a passing score for the "student clinicals," which includes having an actual patient caseload under the supervision of a clinical supervisor.  

The local community college or vo-tech school will usually "only" require a high school diploma or GED (general educational development) certificate.  There are certain programs, such as for nursing or allied health, that may have pre-req classes and/or other admission requirements, which includes limited seating per graduating class.

Please forgo those for-profit schools, such as devry, university of phoenix, walden, ashworth, penn foster, capella, ecpi, strayer, art institute, full sail, pima medical, american public university, concorde career, and others.  Their course credits usually do *not* transfer to other schools, even if the for-profit school is regionally accredited.  Those for-profit schools may also be more focused on "making a profit," rather than quality of education.

The local community college may have "non-credit" or "continuing education" courses too.

With regard to a vo-tech or trade school, please consider the more affordable (and perhaps more reputable) "county" public vo-tech school.  The program should also be accredited within the job industry.

** Just an fyi that pertaining to community college, before taking college-level courses and/or attending school on a full-time basis (per semester), the prospective student usually needs to first have taken a "basic skills placement test" (or by similar name).  The testing usually covers English, reading, writing and mathematics.  If the prospective student has scored below a certain number, then he or she may need to first take some remedial ("basic skills") classes before signing up for college-level classes.  Such college-level classes may include college-level English, biology, or math.

Please keep doing your research and due diligence, including and especially before taking pre-req classes and/or signing up for such a program.  Doing some "job shadowing" (with prior staff approval) is generally recommended too.

For more general career info:

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/ and can click the "occupation groups" of interest and/or type into search for whichever career that piques one's interest.

• drip

If you have a HS diploma you can go to a community college.  Most CC offer some trade courses. 

Academic courses will probably require you to take remedial English and math classes first, since your HS grade are so low.  

• ?

Your best bet is to go to your local community colleges, take courses and prove your ability. That's what community colleges are for. If you prove yourself there, you'll be able to get into an LPN program. 

• Stella

Community colleges typically have open admissions.

However, some programs, including most in healthcare, have college prerequisites and can be competitive.

So you can probably enroll and attempt the prerequisites.

But before you even do that look for a class at the college on how to succeed in college.

It should offer guidance on how to organize your time, how to keep up with your assignments, how to do research in the library and on the internet.

You will also need to take a placement exam to see if your English and math skills such are up to standard. If not you may need to take a few non credit courses.

You probably have some catching up to do.

But there's no need to write yourself off.

No, you probably will NOT be accepted everywhere.  

You already asked this question without being anonymous. I answered that question and told you to find a vo-tech school that offers LPN programs to people still in high school or right out of high school. You gave me best answer. 

You can become phlebotomist, a person who draws blood, in 10 and a half weeks. 

A community college is higher than vo-tech school, not lower. Yes you probably CAN get accepted at a vo-tech tech school or health sciences vo-tech. I've read that health sciences schools are so desperate to graduate new EMTs (emergency medical technicians) that they liberty give you the exams AND the answers BEFORE you take the exams. That was a number of years ago. 

If you already think there is no hope for you you are turning yourself into laser before you know what you are capable of.    

I have no idea where you are. and I don't care who you are.