Can parents stop you? ?

I’m 18 and I planned a vacation for 4 days with my friends. Things are already paid for (500) for everything. My dad told me that I can’t go, but because everything is already done and I am 18 legally can my parents stop me from going?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

At 18, your parents can;

Kick you out

Not support you

They cannot;

Stop you doing anything

Take any of your possessions (you legally own something if it was a gift from someone or if you earned it)

Legally speaking, you and your parents are now BOTH adults, which means you have the same legal rights.

However, it is sometimes worth listening to your parents advice. But not always.

• 1 month ago

No they can't legally stop you but, at 18, they can kick you out of the house.

• 1 month ago

At 18, no they cannot.  

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You are an adult, you can do as you please, however think carefully before you go as 'going on holiday' with friends right now is a stupid thing to do in the middle of a health pandemic and  of course your parents could very well decide you are no longer welcome to return to their home afterwards...so you will be finding somewhere else to live and paying all your own bills

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Neil
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Stop you from going, no. Stop you from coming back, sure. 

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No if you want to go you can. But if they no longer want you to live in their basement you are out.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, they cannot.  You are an adult.  They can lock you out of their house if that's where you live.  They can refuse to support you.  They can treat you like an adult.

$500 for everything for 4 days?  Short of camping, what is the plan?

• 1 month ago

Legally no because you are an adult, but because of the pandemic you might want to rethink your vacation.

• 1 month ago

Not legally. But they CAN stop you from coming back into the house upon your return, except for removing your possessions.

• 1 month ago

i wouldnt think so

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.