Who swears in a federal judge appointed by the president and confirmed by the senate?

• Judith

A friend of mine was sworn in as a federal judge by the Chief Judge of their district.  I attended the swearing in ceremony.

I was unable to find out who administered the oath of office for the Supreme Court Justice.  My guess is that the new Supreme Court Chief Justice is sworn in by the outgoing Chief Justice.

Generally, federal judges are sworn in by a superior over the jurisdiction in which they are stationed.

An exception is obviously the Chief Justice, who has no superior.  Roberts was sworn in by Justice Stevens, who was the senior Associate Justice at the time.

His predecessor William Rehnquist was sworn in as Chief Justice by Warren Burger, who was retiring from the seat.  He had also been sworn in originally as an Associate Justice by Burger as well.