Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 3 weeks ago

Is telling a friend that she needs  to tell her son needs to pull up his pants considered disrespectful?

So I dropped my friend's son from the train station this past Tuesday because she had to work in the morning long before her son needed to catch the train around 11:45ish.

I had told my friend that his pants were very very saggy and that when he got out of my car I noticed he had on white underwear that the butt lining of his underwear was brown. 

I asked if he wears his pants like that all the time? My friend had said yes. So I told her you need to correct that especially when he has brown stuff on the lining of the buttocks part of his undies. 

She told me thanks for telling me something I didn't want to know. I told her I'm not saying this to be rude. 

I told her that her kid is smart but he gives off I'm not too smart. 

So she got offended and hung up on me. 

Was I wrong?

Tell him to wipe better.

You would have been better to say it to the boy while you had the opportunity. "Hey Billy, sorry but I can't help noticing, I can see your underwear AND it's not very clean either".

That would have been quite enough.

PS All the same, I do suspect you're trolling. Most people realise that the day and time of the train are 100% irrelevant to the whole story.Would it have been any different if the train had been an hour earlier or later? Of course not. Skip all that stuff. 

You have offered up an unsolicited opinion and oftentimes, this is not welcome by others.  If the situation was reversed, would you want an unsolicited opinion about your life coming your way?  It is possible your friend is clearly aware of her son's dress choices and you have no idea how/when she may have addressed this situation with him privately.  You have assumed your friend has not had a conversation with her son.  You have also described her son in way that may be deemed as offensive, and hence why your friend hung up on you.  Best you can do is give your friend a few days space and then follow up with a face-to-face visit and apologize for any offence, anger and/or hurt you may have inadvertently inflicted.

• RP

It wasn't rude to start, but you carried it too far by continuing after she thanked you for telling her something she didn't want to hear.

• I don't think you were wrong at all. When I was in school my friends would tell me they've seen a lot of guys walking around with their pants falling down and I know I can't see it, but I think that's disgusting. People need to wear a belt and parents should get their kids belts.