LGBT: Should JK Rowling be banned from using the internet since some of the thoughts she posts are hate-filled and bigoted ?

LGBT 

Favorite Answer

Everyone has the right to express their views and opinions so as long as they do it in the correct manner; That is done in a mature way.

You do not have to agree with her views and she could express them in different ways that would be considerably worse.

The principle of what you are saying is anything that anyone finds offensive or unpleasant to ban or cancel.

That creates a cancel culture and shields people from different views which in its self is quite ignorant and creates the same dilemma. It does, however, bring up interesting and educational debates over how much things have changed.

For example, many movies, novels and television shows that  was made 5 -15 years ago would not be made today; as they would be deemed to conversal some of the best movies made would not be made today as they are considered offensive or they enforce a stereotype.

You do not have to agree with someone's views. In some situations, banning is needed as it goes beyond polity and maturely expressing your views and goes to inciting hatred or violence.  

Shielding people and only showing the positive side of the world is how snowflakes are made. Everything is very political correct today out of fear of offending people.

Hate speech is illegal in U.K. arrest her

• Sky

First of all, no, people are not and should not be banned from the internet for having a difference of opinion.  Second, no free country would ban someone from speaking their mind because they have the freedom of speech enshrined into law.  Third, I don't think what she wrote was hateful and bigoted, but seemed more to be she was mistaken due to ignorance on the subject which led to assumptions on her part, and she was negligent in not researching the matter and talking with transgender people to learn more before forming a finalized opinion.

No she shouldn't.  It's important to note that her actions are likely to increase hostility towards us generally but banning people tends to make them martyrs and attracts attention to them.  I don't know whether she's broken Twitter's rules or not.  She may have done but I'm not familiar enough with them to say.  There are moves to make internet access a human right because we're so dependent on it nowadays, so banning someone from all of it is a very severe penalty nowadays which is almost like cutting off someone's electricity.  It could mean she can't even use her doorbell or turn her lights on, in theory, or access her bank account.  THat's way too extreme and would make the people doing it look like monsters.  Which basically they would be.  So no.

I really despise the terf cult and think JKR is dangerously overlapped with it, but I don't think she should be banned from using the internet. People should be banned from certain social media specifically if they're explicitly hateful enough, though I also don't quite think JKR has gone to what I consider that far.

Banning people like this does nothing and the people they preach such ideology to tend to already think that way anyway, so I don't think it'd solve much. The best thing to aim for would be to educate them on why their behavior is harmful and why they are wrong, even if it feels stupidly hard to do sometimes.

No. Just because she is wrong doesn't mean she cant give her opinion. 

You're a good example of why people don't take the so called "LGBT community" seriously.

No, she shouldn’t be. Glad I could clear this up. 

• Kieth

You can't ban people from the internet, only a court order related to a criminal conviction could do it.

Yes, let us ban free speech and thought and burn all Harry Potter books.