What’s the general relationship between arguments and narratives?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • RP
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

An argument presents opposing points of view whereas a narrative explains something, without taking a stand or attempting to define or defend a particular stance.

• P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

A narrative is a manifesto along set lines or a fixed theme. It presents a case, possibly aspirational rather than facual, which is based upon particular beliefs.   

An argument seeks to impose a pre-held view on others, or lead them to a conclusion which is in agreement.   

A discussion follows the middle ground in accepting valid points presented from participants in order to reach a concensus 

• A narrative helps to consolidate facts and arguments into a superstructure. Such as the narrative of the Big Bang and of life evolving on Earth. There are perhaps a million facts of observation and many deductions along the way. In order to make sense of it we produce a narrative which approximates and extrapolates all these facts and deductions. 

The point of inductive reasoning is not to guarantee the correct theory. It is to construct a world in which these facts and deductions could live. 

It is not to replace direct experience but to integrate experience into a narrative which is in sync. This narrative is not a static being but a dynamical adaptive being. When we learn something new we must update our models and so the narrative. 

It is simply a representation of how we see the world given all these facts and deductions. And I believe it makes us more intelligent because we can visualise the whole project with our mind’s eye.

I know these thing can be abused but used correctly can stimulate further research and reflection. 

I believe there is a rigorous system in which induction has a solid position. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

An argument will attempt to persuade you to a conclusion, a narrative will generally give a factual commentary without any great explanation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.