Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

I can’t eat because of my anxiety? is this becoming an eating disorder as i now hide food.. Should i go to a professional? ?

This is anxiety which i’ve battled with without medication. I 100% know I have it as i’ve been getting panic attacks on& off for 2 years. My mum also suffers with it and is on meds but i’ve never been to the doctors about it because then it becomes real and i don’t want meds. It always flares up whenever i’m under stress- Me 

and my bf who i love have ended things but we’re still in contact and arguing lots, i’ve also lost all my closest friends and my home life is awful. My bf was the only thing that kept me sane and now my anxiety is awful. I cannot swallow food without panicking because my throat feels so tight ALL THE TIME so when i eat it’s a million times worse because it feels like the foods stuck. I’ve not ate an actual meal in over a week i just snack or have liquids. Ive been eating in my room away from my family, putting the food off my plate into little bags and then disposing of them to make my parents think i’ve ate because they’re very concerned. I know this isn’t normal behaviour.  I have no interest in food or eating it literally feels like an unnecessary and triggering chore for me& scares me to death because i know i need it to survive. This same thing happened last year after I was alone in the house whilst my childhood dog died. I couldn’t eat properly for literal months after.. it was awful, i was already slim and dropped 3 clothes sizes. This means it’s a reoccurring stress related pattern and i don’t want to get poorly again:( what do i do get on meds?

Yes, go to a professional.

• Erik

Yes, you need professional help.

your issues do not belong in personal finance.  Gabapentin would help. Anyone who cant keep food down has much, much bigger problems than meds.

• Barry

Death stalks anorexia. So the sooner you seek help the earlier you will recover.

Go to your doctor - it's gone way too far for you to manage yourself, you need help.

• martin

As you rightly want to avoid meds, then you must look into "alternative" counseling and medicine.  Try to approach it with a counselor whom you trust.