My mixed race mum doesn’t believe in black lives matter!?

Hello 

I’m a black young woman and I have been fighting this fight like many others for the BLM protest. I am deeply astounded and ashamed to say that when speaking about it to my mum, a mixed race woman, she doesn’t believe in it. 

She’s just very ignorant saying ‘well all lives matter’ ‘everyone is being dramatic’ and that it’s in America not here so what. 

I am utterly disappointed and really don’t know how to make her see sense. As someone who is black with two black children that have suffered at the hands of injustice in the past it frustrates me that she has these views. 

How can I try to make her aware that this is an issue?

• Foofa

There's basic human recognition of equal merit then there's this nuevo litmus test for "wokeness" that forces people to either support a corporate organization with a catchy name and its political agenda (that has little to do with race) or to be outcast as "cancelled". I know plenty of upstanding black people who support equal rights but also recognize BLM as the Marxist infiltrator it is. Bet if you omitted the copyrighted name of that company and asked her if black lives are important you'd get a better answer. 

• Paul

What race other than the human race does your mum belong to? Sounds like she is right where she should be - all lives matter equally. You don't agree with that?

I'm black and couldn't careless, they're hypocrites. 

• Prince

You are not considering her perspective. You can not expect her to consider your perspective until you have considered hers. You each have a valid point of view. Yours is that the abusive and murderous cops are typical of the situation and that the racism is systemic. Hers is that the abusive and murderous cops are atypical or not typical, but are criminal exceptions. By viewing it as she does, she may be trying to exert some measure of control over the situation. Over long periods of time taking such an attitude can make some difference. Perhaps if you tuned in to that you could share your view that you don't have to be that patient, that you can effect positive change faster than that.

Maybe she just disagrees with defacing property, burning churches, tearing down gates, harrassment and tearing down statues.  There are other ways to stop police brutality toward Black people.  

• Ludwig

Why should she?  It is a pressure group, like 'Extinction Rebellion' or 'Kony 2012'.  It will not get the police made more accountable. 

• .

I am sorry about what you are going through. But your mum is actually right. You are only making things worse. All lives matter and all lives should matter. It’s kind of racist to say that black lives matter and not anyone else’s. I know it’s not what you’re trying to say but is how it looks. Also you need to try to understand is that most black people in the USA commit a lot of crimes and that’s something the Black community needs to solve.

• Liz

Hello. Since this is a religious forum, I'll share my belief which is based on the Bible. , very soon now, Jehovah, by means of his Kingdom in the hands of his Son, Jesus Christ, will rid the earth of all injustice and all of those who selfishly promote discrimination and hatred, racial or otherwise. (Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9, 10) Then, with a perfect educational program under the administration of Christ, all races will truly become united. As that education progresses, they will live in perfect harmony without any trace of racial discrimination. God’s promise will finally be fulfilled: “The former things have passed away. . . . Look! I am making all things new.”—Revelation 21:4, 5.

Only God can eliminate racial prejudice and inequality for ever.

🥴 Listen to your mother. The movement is destroying itself within and will not make life for blacks any safer.

They've gotten out of control and corrupted the cause.

she's you're mom and you should listen to her