Can I use gas or mileage deduction in my taxes if I drive my personal car to my work every day?

My job does not require having a car. I just need it to commute. It has been 2 hours of the drive every day. 

I use my car for personal use as well. 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It was a couple years ago but only if you are required to travel away from your regular commute. Like going to a customers location to provide services for the company you work for. Its no longer a deductible expense.

Source(s): I'm a tax preparer
  • 4 weeks ago

No. You can only deduct mileage if your personal car is used for a BUSINESS--that you own. Not for simply going to work. 

• 4 weeks ago

Nope, commuting is not deductible. Even if you were a self employed you can not deduct expenses for driving from home to your regular workplace and back.

• 4 weeks ago

Commuting is not deductible, ever.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Even when mileage was deductible, commuting to and from work NEVER WAS. If you use the vehicle DURING work, it used to be possible to deduct mileage if not reimbursed by your employer. If you are a business owner, there are limited cases in which some mileage may be considered a business expense.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

no.  Commuting isn't deductible.

• 4 weeks ago

No.  You cannot deduct anything for commuting to or from home.  A deduction is allowed only if the car is used while at work or for getting from one place that you work to another place that you also work (like if you have two jobs).  Even then, you have to keep track of how many miles were for commuting to and from home, and you can't deduct that part.

• 4 weeks ago

No. that is private use.  To and from work is to your benefit. No the business.

Peace.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Commuting IS personal use and is not tax deductible.  

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

no deduction allowed

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.