66 Charger fires but won't run.  Everything I can think of replaced or checked out?   Any suggestions.?

Sell it to me. 

• Edna

Are you really surprised that a 54-year-old car won't run??

• M.

Did you change the cam bearings? 

Are you saying that the spark plugs are sparking? 

Is your distributor in correctly? 

I would spray some engine starting fluid (ether) into the carburetor and try starting it. 

If you get some action then you can check your fuel and fuel system. 

If the starter turns the engine but nothing else is happening, I would be troubleshooting an ignition problem. 

An old car like that could have water in the gas tank.  Water won't burn. 

I would check the distributor cap and rotor, but you say that it "fires". 

For those old engines, I connect my dwellmeter to the coil and see what it indicates.

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972 

Something is wrong with Yahoo Answers lately (again!).  It won't let me post a photo.  I have the wiring diagram for your car.  It also won't let me add any new comments. 

The firing, but dying as soon as you let the ignition key spring back from the START position, was the symptom when the ballast resistor failed.  Also, your ignition switch could have failed. 

Put a voltmeter on the coil + terminal.  It only has power in ignition switch START position, right?

I was trying to find out what kind of ignition system you have.

Since we don't know what "everything I can think of" covers you have made it very difficult for us to make any suggestions. Gasoline engines need four basic things - the right amount of fuel, the right amount of air, a good spark at the plugs and proper valve timing. Start troubleshooting from there. If you'd at least tell us what things you have done then maybe we can narrow it down for you. In the mean time, the Question Quality Survey Team says FAIL. Try again. 

If it fires, but does not continue to run, it does sound like a fuel issue.  You say that it ran earlier this spring, so unless something has changed, it should still run.  

It might be that the fuel is 3 years old and that 3 years and 3 months is just too long to be good.  Or that somebody has added something not combustible to your fuel tank.

Try starting it on starting fluid and have a 2nd person keep giving it short shots when it does fire.  If it keeps running that way, on the ether , then you know that the liquid your carb has is not really fuel.

'

I had an old Fiat that would only start at the dealership.  No problem.  They swore there was nothing wrong with it, but it would not start when home in our garage.   Sold it in frustration.

Hope your luck is better.

It is either fuel or fire. If you have spark and fuel check the firing order. Make sure the distributor is turning and that the ground strap for the points is good. It might be a bad cap and rotor situation or the points are not set right (initial timing). Also check the engine ground and ballast resistor for the coil.

• Scott

How do we know what "everything YOU can think of" is? An engine needs fuel, air and spark to run.

Spray starting fluid on the intake or vacuum line and try to start.  If it starts for a little bit and dies, there could be a fuel delivery problem. 

Remove air filter housing, spray starting fluid  and try to start again and and when it is about to stall, continue spraying starting fluid,   If the engine stays running, there IS a fuel delivery problem.  If the engine does not stay running while spraying starting fluid, engine has lost spark and that is where your troubleshooting would focus.  Check if constant power to coil is being lost with a test light.  Good luck.

Blown head gasket

the engine is running but the car isn't moving ??   must be a problem in the transmission then ....................