Anonymous

Can I attend a community college?

Can I attend one even though I have a low GPA? and are there nursing programs in community colleges?

I already have my high school diploma and I did in well in classes like Science, Biology, and similar classes but I'm not interested in RN programs, only LPN programs.

Sorry, I meant I did well in those classes while I was in high school. 

Also, I live in Pennsylvania.

Nevermind, I will not be looking into anything at all because I clearly have no chances and it will just be a waste of my time.

• drip
    Favorite Answer

You can go to a community college of you earn your HS diploma. Your low GPA Won’t matter on acceptance.  You may need to take remedial classes in math and English. 

You will need to take prerequisites classes at the CC for the nursing program. Your grades will need to be stellar. Nursing programs are highly competitive 

Yes and yes, it would be a good idea to do entrance testing and be placed in classes that will help you build the skills you'll need for college (actually, I think you have to at a community college). It's a great option for getting your basic courses done less expensively than a four-year college and for gaining skills--- like organization, studying, etc. Nursing programs in community colleges and universities are very competitive, but they definitely exist. 

You will need to study your community college's website to see what they require for admission. Many have remedial math & English requirements for those with poor preparation for college, poor grades, and if you do well in those, you might be accepted into an associate's degree program or vocational/occupational program. 

Admission to nursing programs, such as RN or LPN offered through community colleges, has become extremely competitive. If you did not earn really good grades in high school, especially biology, chemistry & math, you are not going to nursing school. If you don't have the talents to do well in sciences, and the love for it, you probably don't have the talents for nursing & other healthcare occupations. Your talents, abilities, etc, lie in some other direction, so figure out what is best suited for your unique constellation of talents, skills, abilities, interests, personality & character traits, etc.

in short YES you can become a R.N. Registerd Nurse with a 2 year degree most community colleges will except you even though you have a low GPA or scored low on your GED my community college will except you even if  you have no HS diploma or GED you have to take placement test when you enroll scoring high can save you time on your degree also if your grades are bad and GPA drops low while attending they can and probably will drop you

Source(s): experience

some states have nursing at community college, others do not.  since we don't know where you are ...  many community colleges will admit anyone who has a high school diploma from the same state.  that, however, does not mean you would get into a nursing program if there is one ... those are likely full and entry is competitive -- so what you'd likely have to do is prove via a semester or year of community college that you are capable of doing well in that setting.  -- GL  [I'm married 32 years to Uni professor]

• John

Most CCs accept anyone who has a high school diploma or GED.  At many CCs, however, admission to the Nursing program is competitive.  You may have to obtain certain scores on standardized tests and/or pass certain courses prior to studying Nursing.  Your local CC will have the details for their school.

Yes if you get admitted and pay the tuition.  CC's are supposed to be for everyone.  Most have a two year nursing program.