Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

Were people less affected by death back then than today?

For example, in 1952 airshow, a plane crashed into the crowd killing dozens and wounded many more. As soon as the bodies were taking away from the crash site, the airshow resumed. Some of the people that helped pick up the dead or helped the wounded went back to watch the rest of show. If something like that happens today, the whole show would of been cancelled.

I lot of people died back then. 

No, throughout history, people have been dying so it's nothing new

• JOHN B

Yes. There were no ambulance chasing attorneys filing frivolous negligent law suits.

• Marli

I agree with those who said that the  people who had seen dead people through the war must have been more calloused to sights of violent and sudden death later in life.

I think that they would still have been grieved by the deaths of friends and loved ones. I was upset by the Danforth Ave. and Yonge Street  murder sprees a few years ago, but I  didn't mourn any of the victims excessively. I  was sorry they were maimed and killed. I was glad I was not among them. I was anxious that no one I knew was involved (I would have been very emotional if anyone I knew had been hurt or killed.). I was angry that such murders happened, particularly in the neighborhoods I know or my friends know. 

But horrors past enures one from feeling later horrors as strongly.

this is true we are all getting weaker as slowly but surely we are turning into jelly, thats why we need to reproduce,

• Prince

Some of the people "who" helped pick up the dead and not some of the people "that" helped pick up the dead, because "who" is the personal pronoun and persons are personal.

And the whole show would "have" been cancelled, not the whole show would "of" been cancelled. 

The answer to your question is yes. Yes, people were less affected by death in the Fifties. Children playing in London during the Forties had grown up seeing dead bodies after the Germans had dropped their bombs. People saw the bodies of children and even babies as well as adults. Suppressed is the terrible memory of the British government forcibly herding civilians into a glass factory which had several levels leading down, and forcing people back who tried to escape, and then the glass factory was fire bombed by the Nazis and the tonnes of glass kept burning and melting for hours and no-one could put it out. Finally thousands of people were permanently encased in glass underground and the government simply covered it up and made everyone forget it. Gone from the historical record like Nerissa Bowes-Lyon and the original children of George V. Cold-blooded is what it is. 

Nowadays people have ketchup attacks or catsup attacks of compassion from their bleeding hearts and someone writes a song about it. The public all turn out with flowers, candles and prayers for every little nobody. Life's no longer cheap. 

• F

A similar  thing happened at Le Mans in 1955. A car crashed into the crowd killing 83. The race continued because they needed to keep the surrounding roads clear for emergency services. If the race stopped, 100 000 people would have tried to leave at once causing chaos.

Litigation, public perception, and brand protection is a driving factor when politicians and corporations cancel events. i.e Hollywood cancels violent movie releases right after some massacre because they believe it will have negative impact on earnings being so close to a tragedy. But they do release the movie eventually.  

You seemed to of left something out that proves you wrong about people being lee affected by death back then.

Queen Elizabeth II and Duncan Sandys, the Minister of Supply, both sent messages of condolence The coroner's jury recorded that Derry and Richards had "died accidentally in the normal course of their duty", and that "the deaths [of the spectators] were accidental", adding that "no blame is attached to Mr. John Derry".

The investigation concluded that the manoeuvring had caused an airframe instability because of a faulty D-nose leading edge arrangement (which had successfully been used in the lighter subsonic de Havilland Vampire). The redesigned DH.110 resumed flights in June 1953 and was eventually developed into the de Havilland Sea Vixen naval fighter

More stringent airshow safety measures were subsequently introduced: jets were obliged to keep at least 230 m (750 ft) from crowds if flying straight and 450 m (1,480 ft) when performing manoeuvres, and always at an altitude of at least 150 m

It was after WW2 and the Korean war was going on, so they were probably used to deaths