Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

How can you completely remove auto-stop from your car?

Mine does not have any driver option to turn off. I'm not looking for a work around or some silly method to override it, I mean I want it actually gone. No longer able to function on my car.

I imagine there's some kind of sensor for computing when auto-stop should happen. Where would you find that on a Chevy vehicle, and can you remove it and still have the car able to run as normal?

• Edna

If you try to remove the auto-stop feature on your car or mess around with it in any manner, doing so will probably void the manufacturer's  factory warranty on your car. 

• M.

Why don't you contact the manufacturer's national customer service department and ask them. 

I don't have one, but I thought the vehicle had a switch to select it. 

I would check the wiring diagram for the vehicle to see how it senses when to shut off. 

Why don't you identify your vehicle for us? 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

If you could do it, the owner's manual would tell how. What car you have is better off without that function being messed with.

The whole purpose behind auto-stop is to give you better fuel economy.  You waste the most idling...and put out a lot of emissions.

. Don't like the feature?- then don't buy a Chevy.

• Ron

The easiest option would to trade it in on something that doesn't have that feature. 

You would have to completely reprogram the master computer. The engineers that designed the car would probably need several days to figure out how to do that without harming other systems.

• Barry

Your question begs the question 'why do you want to stop it'? It's a fuel saving device and most drivers get so used to it they don't notice it. If others accept it why can't you? OK you are entitled to turn it off but I doubt you can without great expense. You could always change you car for one without the facility of course.

Start engine and put shifter in L.  Press the + button on shifter x amount of times, x being the number of speeds in your transmission.   Check the dash and you will see the L(x) set.  You have to do this everytime you drive.

To eliminate the stop start  completely will likely require a reprogram of the PCM if that is even possible.