Lina asked in Consumer ElectronicsCameras · 4 weeks ago

Is the Canon T7 an okay camera to shoot a short film on?

I just bought one but now it seems like everyone is saying it's bad.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • BriaR
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

You've already bought the camera so instead of worrying about what other people think why not just shoot the movie and decide for yourself.  

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Should be fine. I used a compact digital camera with a tiny sensor and fixed lens to short a short video of a burrowing owl once, and it came out fine. Unless you are a professional movie maker with hopes of showing your movie in theatres, you do not need a Canon 5D MKIV.

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's not ideal to use a digital camera for video, especially using a low-end model like the T7.  Canon got their reputation for good video not with the entry-level T series, but with their professional 5D Mark III.  It's like buying the cheapest Mercedes and expecting it to be just like an AMG.

What makes the T7 among the worst for video is that it does not have an external mic jack or headphone jack.  You'll need a separate recording device.

Whether the video will be good enough for anyone will completely depend upon the user's capabilities, needs and expectations.  A really good cinematographer could use a DSLR and produce good results, while a novice could use a $250,000 Panavision and still produce garbage.

To help you with your filming, be sure to download the Magic Lantern firmware upgrade.  This upgrade does not void your warranty.  The upgrade will add a lot of useful video features that Canon intentionally leaves out.

If you want to use the T7 for more than just a one-time film, then get rid of it and get yourself a camcorder.  Any camcorder will be better than the most expensive digital camera.  For about $800 you can get a 4K camcorder that would cost $5,000+ in an equivalent rig using a DSLR.

The footage may be okay providing you know what you're doing.  However, the slow workflow that comes with using a still camera not designed for video for your needs is a bad idea.  Do you really want to be in a situation where you have to tell the crew to take a 1/2 hour break because your camera overheated?

• 4 weeks ago

It's ok, but that's as far as it goes - there's no autofocus in video, no mic input and no 4K.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • qrk
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you have it, then it's a fine camera to shoot a short film on. A friend shot a 5 minute promo music video for his band with a T5i. Came out just fine.

One issue is the T7 doesn't have an external mic input. You'll need to use an external audio recorder. The T7i has an external mic input. No matter what, it's still a good idea to use an external audio recorder.

There are better tools for the job like a real camcorder with raw recording format. There probably are DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras that do better with video than the T7. Don't fret over what the naysayers say.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.